During the Beijing Olympic Games many people noticed some unusual looking ‘tape’ adorning athletes. The tape they were using is known as Kinesio© Tex Tape -a unique therapeutic tape that is being used by health practitioners in 73 countries around the globe.
- Kinesio© Tape was developed in Japan in 1973 by Chiropractor Dr. Kenzo Kase. Dr Kase wanted to treat his patients and then send them home “with his hands still on them”, by allowing the ‘Tape’ to continue the treatment.
- Kinesio© Taping is extremely versatile in its ability to re-educate the neuromuscular system, reduce pain, optimize performance, prevent injury and promote lymphatic flow and healing.
- Kinesio© Tape is latex-free, it takes very little time to apply, it’s lasting and water resistant (stays on 3-5 days). It’s suitable for patients of every age and condition and is easy to remove.
- Although Kinesio© Tape is used commonly by athletes – 85% of the taping applications are for non-athletic purposes.
- It is also widely used in Pediatrics and Neurological Disorders.
KINESIO TAPING (KT)
- Relieves pain
- Increases range of motion
- Assists tissue recovery
- Reduces fatigue
- May normalize length/tension ratios in muscles to create optimal force
- Improves muscle contraction of a weakened muscle (Facilitation)
- Stimulates relaxation of over-contracted muscle (Inhibition)